Sheltered by the longest saltwater Inlet on Vancouver, Island Port Alberni is a haven from the wild coastal waters of the Pacific Ocean. Noted for its salmon fishing, natural setting, and moderate climate the inspiring rainforest of Central Island provides a soothing respite for the friends, family, and neighbours who are lucky enough to call the Valley home.
West of Parksville on Highway 4, the Alberni Valley is the pathway to the treasured west coast and celebrated Long Beach. Yet, Port Alberni is more than enough to satisfy a traveler seeking adventure. It is a commercial and recreational working Port with facilities to suit the needs of every resident. Fishing charters operate year-round in hopes of landing halibut, cod, and salmon. It proudly claims the title of “Salmon Capital of the World”.
“Port” is a modern town with a new Hospital, progressive schools, and extensive opportunities for retirees to become involved in life. Built by natural resources, Port Alberni is also a forestry town full of logging heritage, self-determination, and indomitable spirit. The town’s storied past is captured by the McLean Mill Heritage Sawmill, a National Historic Site and the only commercial steam-operated sawmill in Canada. Follow 25 km of Log Train Trails or hop aboard the 1929 Baldwin logging locomotive, departing on schedule from the restored Railway Station at the foot of Argyle Street near Alberni Harbour Quay.
The Alberni Valley Museum, proudly features the world’s largest collection of Nuu Chah Nulth basketry; traditional weaving done for thousands of years using sea grass by Nuu chah Nulth women. Visit the Rollin Art Centre for tea on the terrace and a cornucopia of local artistic culture.
Houseboat, motor, or paddle Sproat Lake for fitness, fun, or fishing. The Lake is also home to the Martin Mars Flying Tankers, the world’s largest fire-fighting water bombers. Not to be missed, are the Robertson Lake Fish Hatchery, the Somass Estuary Project (formerly the J.V. Clyne Bird Sanctuary), Paper Mill Dam Park, and the family-friendly Rogers Creek Park. Port Alberni is the ideal hometown for growing families or active retirees with a strong tradition of sports, community participation, and wilderness access. Port is an ideal refuge to call home, plant your bulbs, and make some friends. If you are ready for a change call Clark Power Real Estate Team today…
- Alberni Harbour Quay Alberni Pacific Steam Railway [http://www.alberniheritage.com/alberni-pacific-railway/welcome-alberni-pacific-steam-railway]
- Alberni Valley Museum [http://www.alberniheritage.com/alberni-valley-museum/welcome-alberni-valley-museum]
- Cathedral Grove Forest in MacMillan Provincial Park [http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/explore/parkpgs/macmillan/]
- Maritime Discovery Centre[http://www.alberniheritage.com/maritime-discovery-centre/welcome-maritime-discovery-centre]
- Martin Mars Water Bombers (Coulson Flying Tankers) [http://www.martinmars.com/]
- McLean Steam Sawmill [http://www.alberniheritage.com/mclean-mill/welcome-mclean-steam-sawmill]
- Robertson Creek Hatchery [http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/sep-pmvs/projects-projets/robertson/bg-rb-eng.htm]
- Rollin Art Centre [http://www.portalberniarts.com/portalberniarts_rollinartscentre.html]
- Somass Estuary Project (formerly J.V. Clyne Bird Sanctuary) [http://www.ducks.ca/province/bc/projects/coast/somass.html]
- Sproat Lake Provincial Park and Petroglyphs [http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/explore/parkpgs/sproat_lk/]
- Stamp Falls & Fish Ladder [http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/explore/parkpgs/stamp_rv/]
- Festival & Events:
- Westwind Pub Show & Shine
- Port Alberni Self-Guided Garden Tour
- Folk Fest
- Golden Oldies Show & Shine
- Annual Antique Tractor & Engine Show
- Sockeye Salmon Derby for Physically Disabled
- Thunder in the Valley [http://www.albernidragracing.com/]
- Annual British Car & Motorcycle Run
- Log Train Trail Marathon [http://www.arrowsmithradicalrunners.com/]
- Salmon Festival [http://www.harbourliving.ca/event/port-alberni-salmon-festival]
- Alberni Fall Fair [http://www.albernifair.com/]
- Port Alberni Toy Run [http://members.shaw.ca/toyrun/]
- Oktoberfest [http://www.island.net/~europa/]